Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

Football Momma style

Anyone who knows me knows I love football. I have loved watching it since I was 15 and my brother-in-law, Gene introduced me to it. At the time I didn't think any thing about the fact that all girls got to do was watch, it was how it was. As the years went by I realized that girls missed out on a lot of good stuff. I figured football was one of them. I continued to watch all the football I could, and I continued to wish they had let me play football in school.

My husband and I moved to our first house in 1964. Our oldest son was then almost 6 years old. When he became a cub scout I became a den mother. It follows, doesn't it? I thought so. We had many fun times together in our pack meetings and one day all the boys decided they would play football. Ah Hah! My chance! I was sure it would be a piece of cake with a bunch of 9 year olds. I could show them how to do it. I could TEACH them all the things I knew. I could be a quarterback!!!!!

Don't get too excited. They all knew how to play 9 year old style and even though I was not yet thirty they thought they needed to teach me! I didn't even get to be the quarterback. They did call one play where I got to be the reciever. That would have been great if I had caught the ball. Then they had me block for awhile, but I didn't want to hurt any of my little scouts. Finally they decided to let me kick. I always loved the kickers. I think they are the unsung heroes of the game. So we placed the football carefully ( someone had to hold it of course) and I went back for my grand moment. When I kicked the ball I somehow broke my toe. It wasn't my fault. I was worried about the little ball holder. And anyway it was a game being played on cement. I am sure I could have been a great football hero. The only trouble is I was born too soon.

1 comment:

  1. haha! I'm sure you would have been a great football player. But would also have many more broken toes than you've already had. ;)

    ReplyDelete